Thursday 29 June 2017

CLASSIC LEMON SORBET


Memories warm us form the inside;  happened to sit down with a bunch of old photographs and remembering the carefree childhood and cherished moments with family, my favourite memory caught my attention; sitting on the kitchen slab wearing  bloomer panties and an oversized jumper holding a bowl actually bigger than my face then, relishing the lemon sorbet my grandmother used to make and absolutely refusing to share any of it with my cousin who in the photograph is trying her luck to snatch the bowl away; my summer break seemed to play in a sequence before my eyes leaving me nostalgically teary eyed. Just then I realised looking back was not as mainstream as its often regarded; we tend to forget the sunny days and get too caught up focusing on on the overcast, with that thought I had to adorn the apron and get going with the sorbet as it became almost necessary to relive that moment that left me with inexplicable joy.


INGREDIENTS :


  • 2 1/4 cup water 
  • 3/4 cup sugar 
  • 3/4 cup of lemon juice 
  • Zest of 2 lemons 
  • 1 cup carbonated water / any citrus carbonated drink ( I usually use limca)

METHOD:

  • In a saucepan, heat the water and sugar with the lemon zest; until sugar is we'll combined.
  • Allow this to cool.
  • Add the carbonated water and lemon juice to this syrup .
  • Freeze it for 4-5 hours or until slushy.
  • Churn it in the ice cream maker as per the manufacturer's instructions.*
  • Freeze it overnight  in a loaf tin, covered with cling film.


* Incase you don't have an ice cream maker, allow the mixture to freeze until a slushy consistency, which it well using a hand whisk or a hand blender; ( repeat this step 3-4 times for a light texture as it incorporates air into the sorbet) freeze over night.


No comments:

Post a Comment

Author

ADs